Following are some high level details aboutÂ AWS Certified Solutions Architect- associate certification and exam learning path.
I completed the certification Mar 2018 , it required me to spend 2 hours a day for 3 weeks , which included hands on , watching videos and reading whitepapers and blogs. It was overwhelming to see so many services from AWS, but you would love the way AWS has delivered to customers need . I was amazed to know that AWS has snowball (big secure hard drive sent to your home) ,Â snowmobile (trucks to export and import whole customer datacenter)Â and many other ways to help customer to upload their data to cloud.Â Â Certificate will require you to cover all the important areas .
Links to the resources are provided at the end. Veritas data gateway development experienceÂ helped me at multiple levels.
The AWS Certified Solutions Architect – Associate,Â examination is intended for individuals who perform a solutions architect role. This exam validates an examinee’s ability to effectively demonstrate knowledge of how to architect and deploy secure and robust applications on AWS technologies.
It validates an examinee’s ability to:
- Define a solution using architectural design principles based on customer requirements.
- Provide implementation guidance based on best practices to the organization throughout the life cycle of the project.
There are 2 version of this exam
AWS Certified Solutions Architect – AssociateÂ Â – This is what I cleared
AWS Certified Solutions Architect – Associate (Released February 2018)
Most of the eligibility and exam format can be found on following linkÂ –Â /aws.amazon.com/certification/certified-solutions-architect-associate/
Following are the areas of importance from preparation point of view :-
- Certification covers a wide range of services offered by AWS
- Networking , VPC , subnet , security group and ACL are covered in depth
- Share security model
- Distributed and highly resilient deployments
- SLAs and what instance and storage to select for cost effective requirement meeting SLAs
- Route53, cloud frontÂ and Load balancing
- EC2 and Container service
- API gateways and Lamdas
- SQS and SNS
- Cross account access , tagging and billing
- EFS, RDS and S3
- ReservedÂ and spot instances
- Fast pace changes in AWS . e.g. can we change Security group of a running instance ? earlier it wasn’t allowed . Number of regions , number of instances allowed per region , all these numbers are keep changing , and exam material are not able to keep up with them.
- Keeping hands on cost limited to the free tier of personal account (I have been giving a lot of money to AWS every month for my personal account , sometimes due to some resources which I forgot to delete)
- Networking and VPC was the most challenging area
- Pricing strategy changes – Strategy of billing incase of Spot and reserved instances
Exam format –
80 mins , 55 multiple choice questions , passing percentages are not pre defined , no negative marking
Preparation resources –
Certification badge –
Public link to the Certification badge:-